Man’s best friend, a loyal companion, fur babies, family; all these apply to the pets we so lovingly cherish. They are spoiled beyond measure and treated with affection. Which is why it is so soul crushing when they have an accident on our carpets. Sometimes our little four-legged friends don’t make it to the designated bathroom area or perhaps they are young and still in training. In any case, getting those stains and odors out can be a bit of a challenge. With that in mind, we at Green Co Air Duct Cleaning would like to share some tips and advice on how you can remove the obnoxious stains and odors blemishing your carpets.
Supplies Needed to Get Pet Accidents Out of Carpet
To treat pet stains and odors, gather up the following supplies:
– Your choice of Spray Bottle, Bucket, or Bowl
– Damp Cloth and Dry Cloth or Towel
– Scrubbing Brush (Optional)
– Distilled Vinegar – 2 Cups of Distilled Vinegar
– Lukewarm Water – 2 Cups of Luke-Warm Water
– Baking Soda – 4 Heaping Tablespoons of Baking Soda
How to Get Old Dog & Cat Urine Stains Out of Carpet
1) Whenever possible, treat the pet accident as quickly as you can, it will be far easier than trying to get out the stain after it sets. With a rag or paper towel blot the excess liquid. Following what you can do with the blotting, place an additional dry rag place and a heavy weight on top of that and then stand allow it to absorb for 15 minutes.
2) Combine white distilled vinegar and lukewarm water in your preferred container. Beware of the fizz, but add the baking soda and be prepared to control the potential mess. After your solution is mixed well, apply it generously to the stain, but do NOT over saturate. Let the solution sit for 5-15 minutes.
3) With a dry cloth, blot the moisture.
4) Allow to dry with a dry towel and a weight on top of the towel to absorb the liquid.
5) Once it is thoroughly dried, vacuum the area that was treated.
Note: If stains are dry, spray lightly with water and sprinkle some baking soda to the area and allow the baking soda to dry, usually takes 10 minutes or so. After the area is dry, vacuum and apply the solution listed earlier minus the baking soda, unless the odor is still prominent.
Pet Stain Remover Notes
Remember that pet stains are protein based. Using commercial premade product cleaners, be sure enzymes are included in the formula. Protein stains are better broken down with cleaners that have enzymes.
Warning: Carpets are temperamental, and can be permanently damaged if the wrong steps are taken. When tending to pet stains, consider the information below before acting.
– Hot water will set in stains, avoid using hot water.
– Patch tests should not be overlooked. All home remedy solutions as well as department store cleaners should all be tested in an inconspicuous area to ensure it does not compromise the integrity or color of your carpet.
– Use white paper towels, cloths, rags, or towels when treating stains. Any dyes or print from the cleaning implement can transfer to carpet.
– Never rub or scrub vigorously as it on spreads out the stain; dong so only pushes it deeper into the carpets and spreads it out wider.
Carpet Cleaning & More in Sherman Oaks, Valley Village, Woodland Hills & Greater Los Angeles, California
If you have stubborn pet stains and odors, contact Green Co Air Duct Cleaning today and our experts will take care of them! Green Co Air Duct Cleaning can handle all your floor and upholstered furniture cleaning.