The likelihood of your home experiencing a flood of some sort is reasonably high. Between natural flooding, plumbing catastrophes, or appliance complications, flooding can occur, ruining your day and damage the structure. Even with minimal flooding, the structure of your home can be negatively impacted, particularly with mold as the water seeps into the porous material. If mold takes root and is undiscovered, the mold will expedite deterioration and be a potential health risk. The carpets and carpet padding are excellent habitats for mold, providing the dark, moist environment as well as a food sources. If your home has experienced flooding, it is crucial that you contact a professional for assistance immediately for containment and to minimize the damage and avoid mold growth.
How to Prevent Mold in Carpet After a Flood
With mold being a serious health risk and damaging factor, we at Green Co Air Duct Cleaning would like offer some tips and advice on how you can prevent mold from infesting your home following an indoor flood.
1) Water extraction and removal. Extracting the water is priority; if you opt to try and deal with the water yourself use a powerful dry/wet vacuum that has the ability of sucking up volumes of water. If you do not own one, they are relatively easy to rent from most home improvement stores; always follow manufacturer directions water cleanup. Professional assistance is extremely recommended as they have the expertise and industrial strength equipment designed for water extraction after a flood.
2) Structural drying. It stands to reason that after you have removed the excess water, that surfaces will remain damp. You need to get it dry quickly to avoid mold and deterioration. Flip on the ceiling fan at high speed if the room in question is equipped with one. If you own any portable room fans; or have the resources to borrow some, set them all out on high. If you have a dehumidifier, or have access to one, use it to assist with drying. Opened windows and ventilation fans increase airflow and assist in the drying step. If you do not have any handy fans to help dry out the residing moisture, home improvement stores often carry industrial strength fans that can help that can help expedite the drying the process. Again, a professional has the equipment involved in drying to ensure a thorough and fast drying.
3) Carpet Sanitizing. Once the inflicted area has been cleared of water and completely dried, sanitizing the carpets and upholstery needs to be your next step. Steam cleaning the carpets and upholstery will sanitize and deodorize. Carpet/upholstery steam cleaners can be rented at home improvement stores, but like the other steps involved in this process, investing in the experts and their superior truck mounted steam cleaning equipment, enables you to achieve maximum results. If you decide to this yourself, follow the manufacturer’s directions as well as compatible detergents.
4) Baseboards. Though tending to the flooring is important, baseboards are often over looked in water damage incidents, where mold can easily set it. Pop off the baseboards to ensure the water is dried out and the area is sanitized. Start with a mixture of warm soapy water, and wipe down the surfaces thoroughly. Immediately follow up with 1½ cups of bleach mixed in a gallon of water, wash the walls, hard surface floors and baseboards. With a dry towel, immediately follow up drying the surface.
5) Furniture, Rugs & More. Don’t neglect inspecting the furniture, rugs, and other possessions that have made contact with the flooding for any signs of water damage. If you find any, absorb, dry, sanitize, and dry again quickly and efficiently.
Water Flood Damage Restoration & More in Sherman Oaks, Valley Village, Woodland Hills & Greater Los Angeles, California
Water damage cleanup is no easy feat, especially when you lack the physical ability, equipment and time. With increased risk of mold and deterioration, it is in your better interest to contact the professionals at GreenCo Air Duct Cleaning who have the training, experience, and skilled. Call us as soon as possible and our experts will assist you!